Use the following questions to assess a venue’s sustainability credentials.
Commitment to and Communicate Sustainability:
- Do you have a greening committee or staff member with coordinating responsibility for overseeing sustainability efforts at the venue?
- Do you communicate to staff, the venue’s sustainability goals and initiatives?
- Does the venue have a sustainability policy and strategy in place?
- Has the venue successfully achieved any environmental or sustainability accreditation?
- Do you have a sustainable procurement policy for goods and services?
Building Energy Management:
- What does the venue do to reduce energy use?
- Is the venue on a green electricity tariff?
- Do you monitor and report your building’s energy use?
- What activities does the venue undertake to prevent waste being created?
- Which materials are sent for recycling?
- Is biodegradable waste collected separately and sent for composting/anaerobic digestion?
- Are waste volumes monitored?
- What are average rates of recycling, composting or diversion from landfill?
- Have you calculated an average weight of waste per audience member and if so, what is it?
- What does the venue do to reduce water use?
- Do you measure your venue’s water use?
- What is the average volume of water per person for the venue?
- Is the venue easily accessible by public transport?
- Is the use of public transport or carpooling promoted?
- Is cycling encouraged and is safe bike parking available at or close-by the venue?
- Do you track, monitor, measure and report audience transport impacts?
- Does the venue measure its greenhouse gas emissions?
- If so, what is included in the scope of measurement?
- Do you publically report/disclose the venue’s carbon emissions?
- Does the venue support any ‘carbon offset’ schemes to compensate for the emissions produced at the venue?